HIP? | Seller & Buyer | Estate & Managing Agents | Legal |Career| Join Us |Contact Us

HIP? - What's in a Pack - Compulsory

Compulsory / Required Items 

The following are compulsory documents in the Home Information Pack - otherwise known as 'required' documents, as opposed to the optional 'authorised' documents.

Energy Performance Certificate

Energy Performance Certificates tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A.

The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home's energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.

Sellers of newly built homes will have to provide a predicted assessment of the energy efficiency of the property, but a full Energy Performance Certificate should be provided to the buyer when the home is completed.

Further Information

Communities website : for more information on Energy Performance Certificates.

Energy Savings Trust : for details of ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home as well as a briefing sheet explaining Energy Performance Certificates.

Sale Statement

The sale statement should provide some basic information about the site, including:

  • The name of the seller and the address of the property being sold

  • Whether the property is freehold, leasehold or commonhold

  • Whether the property is registered or unregistered

  • Whether or not the property is being sold with vacant possession

A suggested form for a sale statement is available on request.