HIP? | Seller & Buyer | Estate & Managing Agents | Legal |Career| Join Us |Contact Us

Estate & Managing Agents - What's In A HIP 

The Pack contains certain key documents which you should look out for and draw to the attention of both buyers and sellers. The Sale Statement should provide some basic information about the sale, including:

  • The name of the seller and the address of the property being sold

  • Whether it is freehold or leasehold

  • Evidence of title (whether the title is registered or unregistered)

The Pack will contain either a stand alone Energy Performance Certificate or a Home Condition Report (which includes a separate Energy Performance Certificate).  The Energy Performance Certificate tells you how energy efficient the home is on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes, which should have the lowest running costs, are in band A. 

The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G,  about the impact the home has on the environment. Better rated homes should have less impact through Carbon Dioxide emissions.  The average property in the UK is in Bands D-E for both ratings.  

Recommendations are included in the Certificate about ways to improve the home’s energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.

When included, the optional Home Condition Report provides information about the condition the home is in and includes an Energy Performance Certificate.  The Home Condition Report rates the condition of each part of the home on a scale of 1-3 (where 1 is best) – letting the seller and buyer know if any repairs are needed and, if so, whether they are serious.  

Buyers and sellers can rely on the Home Condition Report.  The Home Inspectors who prepare them are qualified, accredited and insured.  For most properties, the Pack should include official copies from Land Registry of the Property Register and the Title Plan: 

  • The Property Register provides a brief description of the property and whether it is freehold or leasehold. For leasehold properties, the number of years remaining on the lease should be stated.

  • A title which is described in the Property Register as “absolute” (for either freehold or leasehold) or “good” (which applies to leasehold only) should have the best classes of title. If the title is described as “qualified” or “posessory” you may wish to seek legal advice as to whether someone other than the registered owner has a claim to the property or part of it.  You or your client may wish to look at the Title Plan to check that it shows the boundaries of the property as you understand them to be. 

  • The Proprietorship Register states who is currently registered as owning the property.  If there are other documents referred to in these registers, you or your legal adviser may be able to obtain full copies or summaries of these documents from the Land Registry.        cont ...